Poona Pact (1932)
McDonald announced the proposal on minority representation, known as the Communal Award in 1932. Under this, the depressed classes (Muslims, Sikhs, Indian Christians, Anglo-Indians, Women and Backward Classes) were to be considered as minority and it would make them entitled to the right of separate electorate.
. Gandhi reacted strongly to the proposal. He considered depressed class as the integral part of Hindu society. '
Impact of Civil Disobedience Movement ‘
- . The Congress swept polls in most provinces in 1937. .. .
- . The left parties emerged as an-altemative in politics.
- . Some Congress activists formed socialist group.
- . Nehru and Subhash Bose emerged as leader.
- Third Round Table Conference
- Held in London in 1932. . The Congress did not participate.
- The discussion led to Government of Indla Act, 1935.